Monday, May 18, 2015

Kanon Wakeshima Interview with Summon the Roses

 © Defstar Records Inc.


Back in 2009, Summon the Roses had the honor of interviewing Kanon Wakeshima @ Otakon! Here's the interview! Enjoy =)




Please introduce yourself to the readers of Summon the Roses.


Kanon: I am Kanon Wakeshima and I have been playing the Cello since I was three years old and now I am a Cello Vocalist.


How do you feel about performing in front of a large audience for the first time in the U.S?


Kanon: In America the audience gets so excited and it makes it fun and also the people were in really cute costumes. I really liked it!


Aside from playing in America you have played concerts in Europe and Japan, how are they different?


Kanon: In Japan audiences tend to just stand quiet and try to concentrate on the music and try to feel the music but here in America and also in France, in those countries the reaction is kind of similar. They try to get together and enjoy the music, and they get really excited and that gives me energy on stage. The audiences seem really excited and that makes me happy.


What do you want your fans to take away from your latest album Shinshoku Dolce?


Kanon: I want my fans to feel the mixture of the classical elements and electro musical elements in the album. The title of the album Shinshoku Dolce describes Dolce which means sweet, and it describes something very sweet and girlish. Shinshoku describes having a dark image so it is a mixture of both dark and light so it would be great if the fans feel the mixture of all these things.


Do you like the change after getting into the music industry?


Kanon: Since my childhood I'm lived with music so my environment it's not really that much different.


Did you enjoy playing Cello when you were younger?


Kanon: When I was younger I was always playing Cello so I did not think much about it.


When did you first start singing?


Kanon: When I was a Junior High School student there was a time I started listening to J-POP and at that time I began to wonder what kind of music I would create as a musician and at that time I started singing.


Did playing Cello come naturally to you?


Kanon: Playing Cello is something like brushing my teeth, it is a very natural thing for me.


Have you ever had any interest in playing other instruments?


Kanon: I was once tried the Piano and Guitar but I realized Cello is better.


Do you have any aspirations of breaking into the music industry outside of Japan?


Kanon: I first would like to break in Japan then I will think about it.


Do you have a favorite musician or group?


Kanon: In Japan a Japanese artist I like is Mayumi Kojima and in America I like Lady Gaga. I like Lady Gaga's costume, they are cute.


Many of your fans really like your clothing, who makes them and do you have any in-put in the design?


Kanon: My producer Mana-sama designs my costumes.


How did you feel when you found out you were going to be working with Mana-sama?


Kanon: Mana-sama is very sincere and a gentle-man choosing the music and music creation. He never gives up on what he wants to express. I am learning a lot of things from his attitude.


Has any of Mana-sama's past projects influenced you in your music?


Kanon: I feel that the songs composed by Mana-sama has similar image from the songs of Malice Mizer. Malice Mizer also tried to express a combination of dark and light.


Do you like Anime? Do you have a favorite?


Kanon: Vampire Knight.


Any reason why you like that one?


Kanon: They have really cool costumes. They are cute.


Lastly do you have a message for your fans?


I am Kanon Wakeshima, I want to do many lives as soon as possible and I want to come back to the states again. Please support me so that I can come back here.

🌹Links🌹

Summon the Roses would like to give a special thanks to the Otakon staff members who made this interview possible and to John Petrokonis and Giulia Palermo who conducted the interview.


A special thanks goes to Alyce Wilson who helped us a great deal in making this interview a possibility.
© Summon the Roses 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment