Friday, August 17, 2018

Haruka Yamada Interview

Haruka Yamada portraying four different members.

Can you introduce yourselves to the readers of Summon the Roses?

Haruka Yamada, contemporary artist performs in a VK band 華妖.viju(Kayo.viju), making a music video playing four roles. I am influenced by VK and Japanese popular songs so that I remake the old hit song to VK. I found MALICE MIZER on TV when I was a elementary school student, I was very shocked. They influence me a lot my creations. I can't perform live show because playing four roles. Making music and videos are actions of 華妖.viju. The view point of the music video is band members never gather in the same shot.

What made you decide to start a musical project in playing four roles by yourself? 

I wore a disguise myself and make a disguise with my contemporary art project. "Disguise" is a one of my way of describing because i disguised middle aged men in womans costume at drag salon. Those experiences gave me a idea of four roles by myself. To be somebody else but nobody is point in doing, so that it is completely different from a ordinary cos-players who disguise as characters of anime or games. Normally men act VK band. Some people gather and play band. These are fixed ideas but i wanted to break and shake them to doing opposite way. I couldn't be convinced that the society put us the sexuality such as i was said "be quiet, because you are a girl", "wear a pink, because you are a girl"... that is the reason of I create disguising project.
So, I want to ask to the world that just judging the book by its cover.

What is the meaning behind your band name? How did you decide on that band name? 

the name of 華妖.viju(Kayou dot viju) means VK covers Kayou-kyoku(japanese pop songs) and Viju is shorted word from Visual Kei. mixed with Kanji and English name is suitable for VK, I think.

Can you explain to us your music concept?

華妖.viju covers japanese pops which is 30-40 years ago to visual kei. The reason why I love Japanese old songs. And i love V kei as well. 華妖.viju is made by mixed up those two styles. The purpose of 華妖.viju is making music video by playing four roles by one person, so i dont mind musicality.

The original version:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video


Excursus. First of all I decide the style of the music video, then i arrange the music.

What message are you trying to express through your music and lyrics? 

Noyhing special. It is just covering of japanese popular songs. The most important thing is l play what i made, more than giving a message with music and lyrics. The music is just a tool.

How are you choosing songs you're covering?

I choose the music that i would cover is from its lyrics. I imagine how i make the music video from its lyrics. And i try to every original music that i covers are different the mood and released time.

Do you think it's hard to have a Visual Kei project? Why?

It is hard that i play four roles on the shooting in just a day. Changing clothes, makeup, shooting and take off the makeup, changing clothes, makeup, shooting and take off the makeup...four times. It takes much time and get painful my skin. But i think it is the worth of this project through those hard things. I will keep it up.

What visual kei artists have inspired you?

MALICE MIZER influenced me very much since I was 12 years old. The very first band I was inspired is MALICE MIZER.

What is your ultimate goal with your project?

I want make many music videos and everybody to know attachment to my works. I want many people to watch my works, and hope to make them bravery and happiness. I'm so happy that watching my music videos makes them to know about contemporary art. So I continue to making music videos.

Lastly, do you have a message for your fans?

I would like people to be interested in doing 4 roles alone. Through what I am doing, I'd be happy if you could be a flexible idea that is not captured by stereotypes.

🌹Links🌹

A special thanks to Anima Kurayami for conducting this interview


No comments:

Post a Comment